Did you know that February is American Heart Month? This is a great time to learn about heart disease, the leading cause of death for both men and women in our country. In fact, in the United States, someone has a heart attack every 40 seconds! Each minute, more than one person in the United States dies from a heart disease-related event.
The statistics are scary, but they are real. That’s why it’s so important to learn as much as you can so you can protect yourself and your loved ones, and become aware of what to do if you or someone you love experiences any heart-related issues.
Here are some important topics and guidelines you can follow (in no specific order!):
- Promote Heart Health – Bringing attention to this cause is a great way to spread awareness. Wear red, share statistics with family and friends, visit your doctor regularly, and stay social (You can follow the American Heart Association and the CDC on Facebook for up-to-date information!).
- Know Your Risks – Obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, smoking, excessive alcohol use, and family history are all key risk factors for heart disease. Know your risks and lower the ones that you have control of!
- Stay Active – This is a wonderful way to lower your blood pressure, reduce stress, and to exercise a very, very important muscle in the body – your heart!
- Eat Right – Nutrient-rich, clean, healthy foods can also lower blood pressure and cholesterol. Too much excess fat in your diet (and on your body) puts extra pressure on your heart, which means your heart must work harder, which can lead to heart disease.
- Enjoy Life! Less stress is less strain…on your heart. Lucky for you (and us!), camping season is right around the corner!
When you feel your best, you can be your best. We wish you a healthy, happy heart month and we can’t wait to see you for Opening Day; this is going to be a great camping season!