Ahhh, can you feel it? The hot summer weather is starting to dissipate and the fall weather is very slowly peeking in. With less humidity and cooler weather, it’s the perfect storm – for outdoor activities! One of our favorites is hiking! All you need is a friend (because you should never go alone!), your sneakers, some sunscreen, and water. Never been hiking before? You’re missing out! And let us tell you why….
- It’s Informal & Affordable! You don’t HAVE to go on a designated path – you can just start walking. As long as you’re in a safe area that you’re familiar with, you can hike along a trail, in the woods, along a street, wherever your legs may take you!
- You Can Go At Your Own Pace! Pump those arms and take long, hard strides, or take your time and go slow – enjoying the scenery.
- You Can Do It As A Family! This is probably the most important reason that we love hiking! You can strap the little ones in a carrier on your back, and let the older kids hike along with you. We guarantee this is a family fun event that everyone will want to get involved in.
- You Gain Mental Clarity! There is a reason it is called the “great outdoors” – because it really is great, for the mind, body, and spirit! You (and your family) get away from technology, electronics, and chaos, even just for a short time. This can help you think more clearly, increase your energy level, and elevate your mood. It’s a win-win-win!
- It’s Great Exercise! Hiking, like walking or running, is great for your bones, your muscles, and your heart – plus you’re burning calories!
- It’s Fun! You get to explore new plants and trees. You may see some animals that you weren’t expecting to come into contact with. Tread lightly, though – only touch plants or wildlife if you know what they are. You wouldn’t want to ruin your hike by getting poison ivy!